Job Description for the Project Manager
To contribute to the implementation of FLEGT Programme of Government of Laos (GoL) in addressing world concerns related illegal logging and timber trading, with supports from FAO-EU-FLEGT Programme, the Environment Conservation and Community Development Association (ECCDA), a Lao CSO, is implementing a Pro-FLEGT project that will pilot the legality requirements for timber coming from smallholder plantation (TLD 3) and village use forest (TLD 4) for no-commercial purposes, while aiming at increasing their legal knowledge and benefits gained from VPA process. The project will be piloted in 3 target villages of Mahaxay and Yommalath districts of Khammouane province in a total period of 12 months. To fulfil the project objectives, there is a need to hire a local Project Manager
who shall manage the project as full time job.
JOB TITLE: Project Manager
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To manage the day-to-day implementation of the Project, providing support to project staff and Government partners, ensuring that activities are implemented based on project’s goals and objectives and that adequate records are kept at the ECCDA’s office. The post holder will be responsible for ensuring that monitoring, evaluation and timely project reporting are carried out following ECCDA guidelines and will act as the main point of contact for the project. The post will be based in the project’s site, with regular travel in the district and province, and (overnight) visits to the project villages.
The Project Manager will guide the implementation of the new project. This requires strong management and communication skills as the job includes financial responsibility for the project, the achievement of the project goals within the agreed time frame and budget, the quality of the project deliverables and team work and personnel management.
POSITION IN ASSOCIATION
The post holder will oversee the overall implementation of the project in coordination with, and line-managed by the Consultant of ECCDA who has overall responsibility for this project and who will be required to approve all major decisions. The post holder will work closely with other field based project and Vientiane support staff.
The Project Manager
has overall responsibility for the proper implementation of project activities, but the specific tasks will be shared by all Team Members.
Community Development (30%)
Project Management – (40%)
Reporting and other Project team related tasks (20%)
Other ECCDA related tasks (10%)
- SCOPE OF WORK
DIMENSIONS & LIMITS OF AUTHORITY
- Be key person to be responsible for the day to day management of the project and work closely with the project’s staffs (ECCDA and GO staffs);
- Contribute to the preparation of project inception meeting, quarterly and final meeting, report, progress reports, and final report;
- Provide information and guidance to the Project Manager and key project personal on issues related to FLEGT.
- Contribute to the preparation of the training for the project team and villagers in the target villages ,and working closely with the Expert and the ECCDA’s Consultant during the design, implementation and analysis of the Situational Assessment;
- Follow up and contribute to the development of the draft Registration guidelines for plantation for smallholder farmers/ tree growers, report – registration process or requirements for the non-commercial use of timber from village use forest and Public consultation reports preparation and presentation.
- Involve in the Inception report, final meeting report and with planned outreach materials project communication plan.
- Prepare training modules and deliver trainings on FLEGT and related subjects;
- Participate in overall project monitoring.
EXPECTED WORK ATTITUDE
- Collects and checks partner reports (narrative and financial)
- Requests funds and authorizes transfers to partners.
- Monitors project implementation, progress, modifications and achievements.
- Prepares annual and quarterly budgets in close cooperation with the Finance and Admin Officer
- Provides timely monthly (financial) plans and reports and (bi-)annual narrative reports
- Assists the ECCDA’s Consultant in preparing reports to Donors and GO with respect to content and deadlines.
- Supports partners in advocacy work and links them with other concerned agencies.
- Represents the project both internally and externally in consultation with ECCDA’s Consultant.
- Participates in policy development as ex-officio member of the Management Team.
- Works closely with the different partners and team members in a flexible way across job boundaries to obtain good results for the Team.
- Works for good Team work and Team spirit amongst the Team Members, participate in formulating and setting of team goals.
- Contributes to the understanding of and ensures compliance with the Association Vision Mission and Goals and its policies, rules and regulations and Employment Conditions.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATION
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications and skills:
- Have at least a Bachelor Degree in forestry or forest governance. Candidates with experiences related to FLEGT would be a plus;
- Have at least 5 years’ experience of work on Project management in Lao PDR on issues related to forest management, governance, and law enforcement;
- Experience working with the NPAs and communities on PLUP and legal work would be a plus;
- Have a demonstrated knowledge and experience in the project management in the field of data collection and analysis and report writing;
- Good leadership and team work;
- Good presentation and communication skills;
- Proficient in English
- DURATION OF CONTRACT
Duration of the contract will be for 12 months.
- WORKING STATION:
The Project Manager is required to base in the field office in the district and has to work both in Vientiane as well as in the field as needed.
- SUPPERVISION AND REPORT
The Project Manager will work under direct supervision of the Consultant of ECCDA.