To contribute to the implementation of FLEGT Programme of Government of Laos (GoL) in addressing world concerns related illegal logging and timber trading, with supports from FAO-EU-FLEGT Programme, the Environment Conservation and Community Development Association (ECCDA), a Lao CSO, is implementing a Pro-FLEGT project that will pilot the legality requirements for timber coming from smallholder plantation (TLD 3) and village use forest (TLD 4) for no-commercial purposes., while aiming at increasing their legal knowledges and benefits gained from VPA process. The project will be piloted in total 3 target villages of Mahaxay and Yommalath districts of Khammoune province in a total period of 12 months. To fulfil the project objectives, there is a need to hire a local FLEGT expert who shall provide technical services on a part-time basis.
- SCOPE OF WORK
- Contribute to the preparation of project inception report, progress reports, and final report;
- Provide information and guidance to the Project Manager and key project personal on issues related to FLEGT.
- Contribute to the preparation of the training for the project team and villagers in the target villages ,and working closely with the Project manager , and ECCDA’s Consultant during the design, implementation and analysis of the Situational Assessment;
- Contribute to the development of the draft Registration guidelines for plantation for smallholder farmers/ tree growers, report – registration process or requirements for the non-commercial use of timber from village use forest and Public consultation reports preparation and presentation.
- Involve in the Inception report, final meeting report and with planned outreach materials project communication plan.
- Prepare training modules and deliver trainings on FLEGT and related subjects;
- Participate in overall project monitoring.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATION
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications and skills:
- Have at least a Bachelor Degree in forestry or forest governance. Candidates with experiences related to FLEGT would be a plus;
- Have at least 5 years’ experience of work on FLEGT in Lao PDR or the region on issues related to forest management, governance, timber processing and law enforcement;
- Experience working with the NPAs and communities on PLUP and legal work would be a plus;
- Have a demonstrated knowledge and experience in field data collection and analysis and report writing;
- Good presentation and communication skills;
- Proficient in English
- DURATION OF CONTRACT
Duration of the contract will be for thirty (37) days over a duration of 3 – 5 months
- WORKING STATION:
The expert is required to work both in Vientiane as well as in the field as needed.
- SUPPERVISION AND REPORT
The consultant will work under direct supervision of the Consultant of ECCDA as well as the Project Manager.