WFP is looking for a Communication Officer to be based in Vientiane Country Office. She/he will work with Head of Programme and overall supervision of Country Director and will carry out the following responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement country specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP to Lao audience and stakeholders.
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned to area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/ information about WFP’s work to the media, in order support regular and appropriate communications.
- Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilizing platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities in Lao PDR.
- Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Monitors social media conversations, especially Facebook, Twitter and news articles, and alerts management to online reputational risk and takes mitigating action as appropriate
- Collate outreach data contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports about WFP support to the National Socio Economic Development Plans and the SDG 2030 achievements, Support communications activities that enable informed decision making and ensures consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
- Engages in dialogue with supporters and the online community to market and connect WFP social media to key influencers, including on other websites and online platforms to multiply messages to wider audiences
- Liaise and interact with WFP staff and external counterparts to support aligned activities and a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
Support the design of food and nutrition messages and communication campaigns related to WFP’s activities (cash transfers, green box development etc.), including communicating results to beneficiaries;
Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses
Experience and skills:
- At least 3 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a proven track record as a communications, advocacy or marketing specialist, journalist or spokesperson or experience on social media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Lao language is a must.
- Well organized and detail oriented with strong judgement/decision-making skills.
- Experience in working with communication campaigns for development activities and creating visibility among beneficiaries/ for donors is desirable.
Application are required to apply online by 31 January 2019
Requisition ID# 103140
Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply. WFP is committed to an inclusive working environment which values diversity and has zero tolerance for discrimination, harassment and abuse of any kind.
WFP is committed to gender equality and parity (50% women and 50% men) and to diversity more generally, among employees across all grades, functions and contract modalities. WFP supports the use of flexible working arrangements to assist women and men in balancing work and personal responsibilities, translating into effective, efficient and dedicated participation of women and men in the workforce. WFP offers an attractive salary and other benefits, including annual leave, parental leave and health insurance for staff and eligible dependents. You can find more information from the link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/laos.htm
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please note that CVs and other documents submitted to WFP cannot be returned.